This recipe, humba, is one of my favorite dishes that originate from Cebu. I like this dish because of the mixture of the salty and sweet tastes, and the tenderness of the pork meat.
So, here goes! Happy cooking!
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 kilo pork with a little fat(cut into bite size)
500 ml – 1 liter of Sprite (enough to cover the ingredients)
1 medium onion (diced)
2 garlic cloves (peeled and chopped)
20-30 pieces of banana blossoms
3-4 Tbsp soy sauce
1-2 Tbsp vinegar
3 Tbsp fermented black beans
1 bunch of spring onions(chopped)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the pork until golden brown. Season with salt. Set aside.
2. In a casserole, mix pork with soy sauce and vinegar. Add garlic and onions.
3. Pour Sprite in the casserole, enough to cover the pork and the ingredients.
4. Let it boil. Adjust setting to low fire. After 10 minutes, add fermented black beans.
5. Add banana blossoms after 10 minutes. Simmer until the meat becomes tender.
6. When the meat is done, add spring onions. Add sugar if you want it sweeter. Adjust seasoning.
Serve with love! Happy eating!